One of the most fundamental principles of Indigenous learning and research is the importance for students and researchers to self-locate. In doing so, both Indigenous and Settlers/non-Indigenous people, are asked to consider our own histories and relationships: including our identity, cultural and territorial origins, and our familial and community relations. With this in mind, this self-location paper will demonstrate your understanding of where you come from, and how this affects what you know and the opinions you have. A critical aspect of this assignment is develop an understanding of whose traditional territory you are on and to acknowledge this territory within your paper.
There are 2 sections to this paper, and each section of your paper should include a response to the following questions:
Section 1: Self-location 1. What is your ancestral heritage? And how does this shape your values and beliefs? (3 marks) My information: I am from China. Please associated with my identity to answer the questions 2. On whose territory do you currently live? Why is it important to acknowledge territory? (2 marks) I am now live in Victoria, BC, Canada. 3. What role has your learning in the education system (K-12) played in the shaping of your worldview? (1 mark) 4. How have your familial and personal relationships helped shaped the way you see the world? (1 mark)
Section 2: Motivations 1. Why is it important for you to learn about Indigenous health(about Canadian First Nations) and
wellness? (2 marks) 2. What do you hope to leave this class with? (1 mark) This course is called: Indigenous health. Course outline attached 3. What do you hope to do with what you have experienced and/or gained from this class? (2 marks)
Conclusion (3 marks) If you are not Indigenous to these lands, how does your self-location shape your understanding and relationship to Indigenous peoples? If you are Indigenous to these lands: how does your self-location shape how you move forward in community?
This assignment is 3-4 double spaced pages, Times New Roman 12-point font, and must also include a title page, introduction, body, conclusion, citations and references (APA Style) for anything that is from a source that is not your own thoughts.
Students will explore indigenous peoples’ health experiences: past, present, and future. Using a strength-based and holistic perspective, students will learn about the current realities of Indigenous peoples’ health experiences, and will be introduced to traditional healing practices. Students will be able to use this knowledge to further their own understanding of Indigenous peoples’ health, and can apply this experience to work with children, families and in community.
Upon successful completion of this course a student will be able to:
. a) describe and discuss the impact of colonization on Indigenous peoples’ health in Canada.
. b) describe the dimensions of health with consideration to their application to indigenous peoples.
. c) explain the relationship between people, land and health and the ways in which this may be experienced by indigenous peoples and community.
. d) discuss select holistic health approaches and cultural practices and the ways in which these enhance the health of Indigenous peoples and community.
. e) describe future possibilities for indigenous health that encompass a strength-based holistic perspective on health.
2. Course Content and Schedule
Week 1 – Introduction to the course
• Introductions • Guidelines and expectations, overview of the course syllabus
Required Readings: Ch. 6: “Terminology” in Younging, G. (2018). Elements of Indigenous Style. Edmonton: Brush Education. (pp. 50-73)
BC Treaty Commission. (2020). Interactive map of Vancouver Island First Nations. Retrieved from: http://viea.ca/business-living-on- vancouver-island/first-nations/
Songhees Nation. (2020). Ləәk̓ wəәŋəәn Traditional Territory. Retrieved from: https://www.songheesnation.ca/community/l-k-ng-n-traditional- territory
Week 2 – Overview of determinants of Indigenous peoples’ health
• What shapes health and wellness?
• Colonization as a determinant of health Required Readings: Chapter 1: “Structural Determinants of Aboriginal Peoples’ Health.” pp. 3-15. In, Determinants of Indigenous Peoples’ Health.
Week 3 – Understanding colonialism
• What is colonialism?
• The Indian Act Required Readings: Czyzewski, K. (2011). Colonialism as a broader social determinant of health. The International Indigenous Policy Journal, 2.
Week 4 – The Residential School System
• The Residential School System
• Trauma and harm
• Healing and reconciliation Required Readings: First Nations and Indigenous Studies. (2009). The Residential School System. Retrieved from: https:// indigenousfoundations.arts.ubc.ca/the_residential_school_system/
Wilk, P., Maltby, A., & Cooke, M. (2017). Residential schools and the effects on Indigenous health and well-being in Canada—a scoping review. Public Health Reviews, 38(8): 1-23. Retrieved from: https:// publichealthreviews.biomedcentral.com/track/pdf/10.1186/ s40985-017-0055-6
Week 5 – Indian Hospitals
• Indian Hospitals
• Defining Historical and Intergeneration trauma Required Readings: Chapter 12: “Being at the Interface: Early Childhood as a Determinant of Health.” pp. 111-125. In, Determinants of Indigenous Peoples’ Health.
Week 6 – The child welfare system: past and present
• The Sixties Scoop
• The current child welfare system Required Readings: National Collaborating Centre for Aboriginal Health. (2017). Indigenous Children and the Child Welfare System in Canada. Retrieved from https://www.nccih.ca/docs/health/FS- ChildWelfareCanada-EN.pdf
Week 7 – Land and health
• Indigenous peoples’ relationship to the land
• The impacts of colonization on relationships to land Required Readings: Chapter 16: “The Relatedness of People, Land, and Health.” pp. 167-182. In, Determinants of Indigenous Peoples’ Health.
Week 8 – Traditional medicines and two-eyed seeing
• Plant medicines and medicine people
• The importance of seeing strengths in both traditional and western healing practices
• Opportunities for accessing traditional medicines in western health care Required Readings: Chapter 5: “Two-Eyed Seeing in Medicine.”
pp. 44-51, in Determinants of Indigenous Peoples Health.
Week 9 – Spiritual Wellness and the Role of Ceremony
• Understanding the diversity of ceremony and traditional practices across Nations
• Understanding the impact of culture and connection on health and wellness Required Readings: Chapter 9: “miyo-pimatisiwin, “A Good Path”: Indigenous Knowledges, Languages, and Traditions in Education and Health. pp. 80-92. In, Determinants of Indigenous Peoples’ Health.
Week 10 – Language and identity
• Importance of identity and language revitalization
• Types of language revitalization approaches
Required Readings: Chapter 7: “atikowisi miýw-āyāwin, Ascribed Health and Wellness, to kaskitamasowin miýw-āyāwin, Achieved Health and Wellness.” pp. 63-72. In, Determinants of Indigenous Peoples’ Health.
Week 11 – Access to health care services
• Different barriers to accessing health services
• Understand shifts that are needed to make healthcare more accessible Required Readings: Horrill, T., McMillan, D. E., Schultz, A. S. H., & Thompson, G. (2018). Understanding access to healthcare among Indigenous peoples: A comparative analysis of biomedical and postcolonial perspectives. Nursing Inquiry. Retrieved from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6055798/pdf/
Week 12 – Cultural safety
• Learn about racism in the healthcare system
• Understand what cultural safety is Required Readings: Chapter 21: “miyo-pimatisiwin: Practising ‘the Good Way of Life’ from the Hospital Bed to Mother Earth.” pp. 257-273. In, Determinants of Indigenous Peoples’ Health. Week 13 – Reflection on relationships: seeing the whole picture
• Review of course topics
• Discussing the importance of relationships across all areas of work Required Readings: Chapter 26: “Medicine is Relationship: Relationship is Medicine.” pp. 320-332, in Determinants of Indigenous Peoples Health.
Get Professional Assignment Help Cheaply
Are you busy and do not have time to handle your assignment? Are you scared that your paper will not make the grade? Do you have responsibilities that may hinder you from turning in your assignment on time? Are you tired and can barely handle your assignment? Are your grades inconsistent?
Whichever your reason is, it is valid! You can get professional academic help from our service at affordable rates. We have a team of professional academic writers who can handle all your assignments.
Why Choose Our Academic Writing Service?
- Plagiarism free papers
- Timely delivery
- Any deadline
- Skilled, Experienced Native English Writers
- Subject-relevant academic writer
- Adherence to paper instructions
- Ability to tackle bulk assignments
- Reasonable prices
- 24/7 Customer Support
- Get superb grades consistently
Online Academic Help With Different Subjects
Students barely have time to read. We got you! Have your literature essay or book review written without having the hassle of reading the book. You can get your literature paper custom-written for you by our literature specialists.
Do you struggle with finance? No need to torture yourself if finance is not your cup of tea. You can order your finance paper from our academic writing service and get 100% original work from competent finance experts.
While psychology may be an interesting subject, you may lack sufficient time to handle your assignments. Don’t despair; by using our academic writing service, you can be assured of perfect grades. Moreover, your grades will be consistent.
Engineering is quite a demanding subject. Students face a lot of pressure and barely have enough time to do what they love to do. Our academic writing service got you covered! Our engineering specialists follow the paper instructions and ensure timely delivery of the paper.
In the nursing course, you may have difficulties with literature reviews, annotated bibliographies, critical essays, and other assignments. Our nursing assignment writers will offer you professional nursing paper help at low prices.
Truth be told, sociology papers can be quite exhausting. Our academic writing service relieves you of fatigue, pressure, and stress. You can relax and have peace of mind as our academic writers handle your sociology assignment.
We take pride in having some of the best business writers in the industry. Our business writers have a lot of experience in the field. They are reliable, and you can be assured of a high-grade paper. They are able to handle business papers of any subject, length, deadline, and difficulty!
We boast of having some of the most experienced statistics experts in the industry. Our statistics experts have diverse skills, expertise, and knowledge to handle any kind of assignment. They have access to all kinds of software to get your assignment done.
Writing a law essay may prove to be an insurmountable obstacle, especially when you need to know the peculiarities of the legislative framework. Take advantage of our top-notch law specialists and get superb grades and 100% satisfaction.
What discipline/subjects do you deal in?
We have highlighted some of the most popular subjects we handle above. Those are just a tip of the iceberg. We deal in all academic disciplines since our writers are as diverse. They have been drawn from across all disciplines, and orders are assigned to those writers believed to be the best in the field. In a nutshell, there is no task we cannot handle; all you need to do is place your order with us. As long as your instructions are clear, just trust we shall deliver irrespective of the discipline.
Are your writers competent enough to handle my paper?
Our essay writers are graduates with bachelor's, masters, Ph.D., and doctorate degrees in various subjects. The minimum requirement to be an essay writer with our essay writing service is to have a college degree. All our academic writers have a minimum of two years of academic writing. We have a stringent recruitment process to ensure that we get only the most competent essay writers in the industry. We also ensure that the writers are handsomely compensated for their value. The majority of our writers are native English speakers. As such, the fluency of language and grammar is impeccable.
What if I don’t like the paper?
There is a very low likelihood that you won’t like the paper.
- When assigning your order, we match the paper’s discipline with the writer’s field/specialization. Since all our writers are graduates, we match the paper’s subject with the field the writer studied. For instance, if it’s a nursing paper, only a nursing graduate and writer will handle it. Furthermore, all our writers have academic writing experience and top-notch research skills.
- We have a quality assurance that reviews the paper before it gets to you. As such, we ensure that you get a paper that meets the required standard and will most definitely make the grade.
In the event that you don’t like your paper:
- The writer will revise the paper up to your pleasing. You have unlimited revisions. You simply need to highlight what specifically you don’t like about the paper, and the writer will make the amendments. The paper will be revised until you are satisfied. Revisions are free of charge
- We will have a different writer write the paper from scratch.
- Last resort, if the above does not work, we will refund your money.
Will the professor find out I didn’t write the paper myself?
Not at all. All papers are written from scratch. There is no way your tutor or instructor will realize that you did not write the paper yourself. In fact, we recommend using our assignment help services for consistent results.
What if the paper is plagiarized?
We check all papers for plagiarism before we submit them. We use powerful plagiarism checking software such as SafeAssign, LopesWrite, and Turnitin. We also upload the plagiarism report so that you can review it. We understand that plagiarism is academic suicide. We would not take the risk of submitting plagiarized work and jeopardize your academic journey. Furthermore, we do not sell or use prewritten papers, and each paper is written from scratch.
When will I get my paper?
You determine when you get the paper by setting the deadline when placing the order. All papers are delivered within the deadline. We are well aware that we operate in a time-sensitive industry. As such, we have laid out strategies to ensure that the client receives the paper on time and they never miss the deadline. We understand that papers that are submitted late have some points deducted. We do not want you to miss any points due to late submission. We work on beating deadlines by huge margins in order to ensure that you have ample time to review the paper before you submit it.
Will anyone find out that I used your services?
We have a privacy and confidentiality policy that guides our work. We NEVER share any customer information with third parties. Noone will ever know that you used our assignment help services. It’s only between you and us. We are bound by our policies to protect the customer’s identity and information. All your information, such as your names, phone number, email, order information, and so on, are protected. We have robust security systems that ensure that your data is protected. Hacking our systems is close to impossible, and it has never happened.
How our Assignment Help Service Works
1. Place an order
You fill all the paper instructions in the order form. Make sure you include all the helpful materials so that our academic writers can deliver the perfect paper. It will also help to eliminate unnecessary revisions.
2. Pay for the order
Proceed to pay for the paper so that it can be assigned to one of our expert academic writers. The paper subject is matched with the writer’s area of specialization.
3. Track the progress
You communicate with the writer and know about the progress of the paper. The client can ask the writer for drafts of the paper. The client can upload extra material and include additional instructions from the lecturer. Receive a paper.
4. Download the paper
The paper is sent to your email and uploaded to your personal account. You also get a plagiarism report attached to your paper.
PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH US TODAY AND GET A PERFECT SCORE!!!